6.24.2007

An era coming to an end...

Marcos and I have been friends since, well, I can't remember when. He used to be the guitarist for Youth in Asia, and when we lived together for those 4 years back in the 90's, he was the rhythm guitarist for my band, Truckasauras. All because of the day I wore my Screeching Weasel shirt. And now, after so many years of ruling LA, Marcos is moving away.

We met up at Del's Saloon in West LA last night, a haunt for us back in that wonderful decade of yesteryear. Back when it really was a saloon. However, heading back last night, many things have changed. Gone are the grizzled ol' regulars, gone is the even more grizzled old lady who slung us our ale. Those have been replaced by young wannabe hipsters and hot young bartenders. And yes, this is a complaint. Gone is the sole broken TV, replaced by 15 flat screens. You used to only be able to get the shitty domestic beers in bottles... now they have everything imported. And gone is the cash only bar, now taking everything including Discover.

Now don't get me wrong, I would normally love some of these changes. I love imported beer... shit, all I drink is Newcastle (which, by the way, make sure you watch their namesake in the English Premier League this year, they are gonna rock). I love TV... oh do I love TV. And I never ever bring cash with me, so paying by Credit Card is great. But Del's, that was a place where everyone knew my name. Where the bartender sneered at me everytime I walked in. Where the drunk ol' guy at the end of the bar told me the same story every night I was there. And now... now its not. I guess an era is over.

And such is this chapter in my story with Marcos. He and his wife, above at Del's for the last time, are moving to a galaxy far, far away.
Man, we had some times together, some wild, crazyass times. Farewell Marcos, but for ol' times sake, lets go grab a Tommy's Burger before you leave...

mmmm... Tommy's...

mike

No comments: