6.14.2007

Maps and maps...

So as I alluded to earlier in the week, I have big plans this summer now that I have freed up a little time. Some work related, others just to have some fun.

One project I am working toward is one tall order. I am going to try and ride every street in LA on my nifty brand new bike. Considering how out of shape I am, its a lofty goal indeed.
I got free maps from AAA to help me scope it out, and my God am I in for some trouble. I used the highlighter there to give some reference to the scope of this project.

As you can see, I laid out these 4 maps of the 4 sections of LA to show what insanity truly is. Here is a closer look at how many tiny streets there are on just one tiny section of one map. You may also see the highlighted sections of the streets I already hit.


And, like the pig that I am, I have planned all my trips around hole in the wall joints I have always wanted to hit up, but never have. Yesterday the Brickhouse in Venice, tomorrow some greasy spoon in Downtown. Who knows where each day will take me, but you can guarantee it will take me to a place that will get me well feed and/or well inebriated.

Today I had a trip planned into Santa Monica, but due to an injury sustained this morning...

... riding was out of the question (believe me, it is much more painful then it looks. I have been hobbling around all day).

So what to do? Well, why not hit up some heartattack joint a little farther away by car. Sure, its somewhat against my plan, but I still need to eat, right?
I decided to go for Chili John's in Burbank for a couple reasons:
1) I was already in the city on some unrelated business
2) I knew if I tried this one by bike, I'd be throwing up all the way home.

Driving past this place often over the last couple years, I have always felt this dire need to try it.

The allure? Just look at that sign! And that facade! "Famous from Coast to Coast"!!! How can you not be seduced by its gentle siren call???

Walking in, it has a similar set-up to the old burger places from the 50's (a la Apple Pan): an oval counter surrounds the kitchen, everyone forced to face each other. I took a spot on the left side and surveyed the place. It was perfect. The chili, just inches away, was bubbling over the pot. The place was packed with fat guys. And everyone was smiling. This was gonna be good.
But...
it wasn't.
My hopes and dreams dashed so quickly.
I got a bowl of chili and a tamale, washing it down with a glass of coke.

Not a whole lot of food. And the quality? It was good, but not great. The chili had that right amount of grease just floating on top like an oil spill in the Pacific, but the taste never really grabbed me. And the tamale... aye carumba. It tasted like paste.
Maybe some cheese will make it better...

Hey, thanks guys, just go ahead and plop it right on there. Amazing, it still held to the shape of its container.
But honestly, the staff was super friendly. I believe its family run. Still, after all was said and done, I was still kinda hungry. Worse yet, I was $11.80 out... I didn't feel like throwing down more cash for something that probably would have made me upset. One thing I must admit though, if you want a quick meal, this is the place. I was in and out in 10 minutes. No joke. True fast food.
So, here is the funny thing. As I am walking out, contemplating a let down of expectations and an overcharged meal, I still was feeling good. Maybe it was the grease getting to my head, but I felt great. Better then I had in weeks. So, Chili John's, even though I was a little underwhelmed, I still had a really positive experience. Thank you.
Will I come back? Oh hell no.

mike
www.project.bz

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yuk. that looks gross

beau b said...

every street huh? good luck with that. make sure to go strapped when you roll thru south central.