6.28.2007

The Season has begun...

Well, its that time of year again...

that's right, the summer season of the Hollywood Bowl officially started last week, and we celebrated by going to one of the first of many shows on Sunday.

Now, you can't tell, but that is DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist ripping it up. They used all original 45's on a 2x4 to knock the house dead (that's 2 set's of turntables, not a piece of wood!!!). A set like that, and you expect nothing other then pure genius. And for aficiandos, that's what it was. I had Vinyl Richie and DJ Vala sitting next to me, and they were blown away. However, everyone else I was with, who doesn't understand music like that, was less then impressed.
Overall, I thought it was pretty damn cool, but it just was not the right venue. That show is perfect for a small club who's patrons get what a set like that takes. This crowd, they just didnt. You could feel it in the air. Making matters worse, a huge technical difficulty during the finale prematurely ended the set. It just did not feel like a good show, even though it was.
But hey, 13 more shows left this summer to see, so I think everything will be alright...

Went for a little bike ride thru Culver City the other day. Came across some interesting things... like this beautiful tree-lined street.

Always wanted to live on a street like that. Also this strange military parking lot right on Culver that I, for some reason, have past a million times but have never seen.

And of course, the film statue at the park on Overland and Culver honoring the rich history of Culver City.


On Tuesday I found myself out in Santa Fe Springs on some business right around lunch time. As I passed this place on the way to the meeting...


... I knew I had to stop on the way back. I mean, the Chairman's Reserve? How can you not go to a place that offers the Chairman's Reserve!
The place was like a truck stop, literally. There were a good 8 or 9 diesel's parked in the oversized lot right off the 5 in Commerce.
I walk inside and was immediately greeted by the super friendly waitresses. And even though it seemed like everyone there was a regular, I, the stranger, was still treated like a VIP.
So I saddled up and ordered the Chairman's Reserve - Steak and Eggs! It was awesome.

Nice Skirt Steak with salsa was a great touch, not to mention "Ozzie's Potatoes" smothered with green peppers and onions. It was amazing, and all for only $6! I love Ozzie's!
Wait, what's this? Ozzie's also has a lounge! Perfect for the midnight Truckers who just need to have one for the road. I will definitely have to go back some night and check out the scene. Any takers?

And finally, while at Hank's the other night, I ran into the hotel lobby next door and came across this:

There, clearly visible next to the coke machine is the change machine. Yet, for some reason, the hotel finds it necessary to post a large note right on the coke machine stating that the clearly visible change machine is right next to the coke machine. I can only imagine what goes on in that fleabag hotel...

mike

No comments: